Sunday, July 12, 2009

63 days and $950 to go!





Got in some good running on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week. Also, raised another $300 for the cause! I started out with about a 3 mile run on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday I decided to push it a little and managed about 7 miles on each day. But, I was particularly encouraged by my run on Thursday. After a 1 mile relatively easy warm up, I felt strong through the rest of the run. Maybe my "aerobic base" is really beginning to build.

My training for the rest of the week was sporidic at best since we left home on Friday morning to drive to our vacation on the South Carolina coast. I am sitting under the deck of our rented beach house at Edisto Island composing this. It is the middle of a beautiful day at the beach but I am not ready for all that sun just yet.

On friday, we drove to Hendersonville, North Carolina, to stay the night and finish our drive to Edisto on the following day. My brother and I rode our bicycles into "Historic Downtown Hendersonville" on Saturday morning. It was a beautiful place and a nice ride that took about 1 hour. After breakfast in the hotel, we decided to check out one of the local sights before heading to the beach. An easy half hour drive took us to Chimney Rock Park where a stark pillar of rock (see the first picture) offers an amazing view of the surrounding countryside including Lake Lure.

I ascended several flights of steps to get to the top of that rocky perch and be greeted by a stunning vista of the valley and the lake below (the second picture). Several more flights took my brother, sister, and I ever higher so that we could actually look down on Chimmney Rock and its flock of eager tourists (the third picture). We left the park only reluctantly, but another four and a half hours brought us safely to our vacation destination at Edisto Beach. The perfect place to train for a triathlon! (the final picture)

No comments: