Sunday, August 30, 2009

14 days and $0 to go!

Two steps forward, one step back. It's been a rough week, but I'm getting back "in the saddle", so to speak.

I started the week on Monday with a round of yoga. I rested from any other activity after my swim / run on Sunday. On Tuesday after yoga I went for a 6 mile run. About 4 miles into the run, I took a tumble after I missed an uneven spot on the sidewalk. A quick "duck and roll" maneuver left me with a little "road rash" on my right leg and left elbow but no other "damage". Nothing really hurt but my pride. I finished the run with slightly bloodied socks from my wounds. On Wednesday I did my yoga and laid off the other activities to let my leg heal.

With beautiful weather on Thursday morning I decided to go for a 10 mile ride out to Headlands Beach and back. It had rained the night before, so I should have been extra cautious. But the exceptional weather lulled me into a false sense of security. Rounding a rather sharp bend, I encountered a small patch of sand on the asphalt path. Who would have thought there'd be sand at a beach ;). That was enough to send my bicycle to the right as my body was going to the left :(. With my feet securely fastened into the pedal clips, I wasn't able to jump clear of the bike, so I did what I tought was the next best thing. I put out my left hand to brace myself against the inevitable fall.

I thought I had escaped with nothing more serious than a slight case of road rash. But, I was wrong. A severely sprained wrist was the result of my attempt to keep myself from hitting the road too hard. I spent a sleepless night downing aspirin and ibuprofen and wrapping and unwrapping my wrist to try to get comfortable. This was followed by a full day of periodically icing my wrist in the hotel ice bucket. We were out of town and staying in a hotel for my son's wedding. There's a certain symmetry to this since on the day my son was born my arm was in a sling due to a separated shoulder, which happened when I fell while running. So, on the day he was married my sprained wrist from a bicycle fall was wrapped.

Well, my wrist is feeling much better today. It is definitely on the mend. On to Washington, D.C. It's only 2 weeks away!

No comments: