Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Here come 'da Judge!

Last friday I received a summons in the mail to appear for jury duty... on April 22! I have no problem fulfilling my civic duty and serving on a jury. But, the timing definitely threatened to kill my hopes of competing in the Wildflower triathlon. At times like these I start by getting philosophical and try to put some perspective on my problems. In the grand scheme how bad is it? My "not going" to Wildflower is trivial compared to what the people I am raising money for go through on a daily basis while battling cancer. But I really want to go! In another year, what will it matter? But I really, really want to go!

After I received the summons I called the judge's office and spoke to a very nice lady who told me to fax a letter to the judge explaining my situation along with copies of my plane tickets. She said she would present the information to the judge and he would decide. So I faxed the information right away last friday and waited... The waiting is hard and I began thinking about alternatives. What if I have to appear on the 22nd? That's the day my bike is supposed to ship to California for the race. If I send the bike and don't make it to California, will they store the bike and ship it back? Or, do I just keep the bike here and can the whole thing? At times like this it's probably better not to think at all. On the other hand, should I have provided more details in the letter? Is that my only shot? Or, will I be able to argue my case. Stop thinking!

Yesterday morning after jumping every time my cell phone rang on monday I finally received the answer from the judge's office. The judge would grant my request for a delay in my service. Besides that, however, the judge would like to know how much advance notice I would need to be able to appear. I thought, "I'm dealing with a very reasonable person here. Not at all the heavy-handed attitude I was half dreading." So, the same very nice lady said there was a summons going out for May 13th. I replied, "I'll be there." And it was done. I'm looking forward to meeting the judge!

No comments: