Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Less than 1 week to go! Over $5000 raised!

Remember, what you get by reaching your destination isn't nearly as important as what you become by reaching your goals - what you will become is the winner you were born to be!
Zig Ziglar

On tuesday, I ran my last 13 miler before the triathlon. Each time I finish that distance I feel a little better and I recover a little faster. This time, I walked the day after this long run only attempting a second long run on the second day following. 8 miles on thursday went smoothly and 5 miles on friday left me a little tired but my muscles felt fine, definite progress!

This coming thursday, I will be flying with my team to California to participate in the Wildflower Triathlon long course next Saturday. The training for this event is over. My goal this week is to stay loose, pack up, and prepare mentally. Our team has a total of 15 participants, 9 women and 6
men. We will meet at the airport.

My race will start next Saturday at 9:05AM Pacific time, 12:05PM Eastern. That's when my group, 50+, will enter the water and begin the 1.2 mile swim in Lake San Antonio. Some time later, I will grab my bike and begin the 56 mile ride over the hills of Monterey County California. After the ride, I plan to complete the race with a 13.1 mile run over some of those same hills.

Next Saturday, I expect to be competing for over 7-1/2 hours, but I hope to enjoy (nearly ;-) every minute of it.

I received this timely advice from a friend who has been there:
"Don't be nervous, you've done all the hard work. Relax and have fun. You know you can swim the distance, the bike is down-right fun and you can always walk some of the run if you have to. Its that simple Louie.
Remember to hydrate on the bike even when you don't think you need to. Have a blast and remember the race is always easier than the training. Luck is for the ill-prepared Louie, break a leg!"

Thanks!

No comments: