Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rainy, Misty Forest

Rain last evening and a slightly lower temperature this morning contributed to the morning fog. It is actually a very thin, sort of misty, fog. You can feel it when you ride down a short hill because the temperature drops a few degrees. Early morning, before the sun has fully risen, it makes for a rather dreamy atmosphere. The street lights sport halos and the far bend in the road becomes rather indistinct. I had planned to ride about 20 miles. I managed about 7.
Toward the end of the 7 miles I turned onto the gravel path through the woods just as the mist turned into a light rain. The first signal was the hissing sound the drops made as they careened through the leafy canopy above. I glanced at the lake and saw the dimpled surface and knew it was raining. The geese were in full throat. I'm sure they love this weather!
I enjoy the rain, I really do. The only problem is that the surface of the road and especially the boardwalks get slippery. Also, as I mentioned before the raindrops on my glasses impair my ability to see well enough to be safe. So, I packed it in after 7 miles. Still, the ride through the rainy, misty forest early in the morning was worth it!
Maybe I'll go out again for a short ride around noon. :-)

No comments: