Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Of bicycle chains and other things... conclusion

A little over a week ago I replaced the chain on my bike. One thing lead to another and I have been without my bike since then. Until today! Hallelujah!
I picked up the replacement cassette from my local bike shop today and (using one of the funny looking tools my brother gave me for christmas) putting it back on the rear wheel was a cinch. It's really clean and shiny! :-) That lasted about 2 seconds since I immediately donned my helmet and hopped on the bike for a spin through the nearby park. I haven't done much since last friday because my calf is still a little too tight to run. I am counting on the bicycle to loosen it up before I go back to Florida next week - and return to the running.
What did I learn from this (mis)adventure? It's definitely a good idea to check the length of your bicycle chain periodically and replace it if it stretches too much - my brother says 1/8 inch in one foot, the guy at the bicycle shop says every 1,200 miles. I'll be checking the chain periodically from now on because replacing the chain really is "Easier than it looks". Also, it's a lot easier to find a chain than a cassette. Actually, I think I'll keep a spare - chain, that is. :-) Looking forward to tomorrow's ride!

No comments: