Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cold Weather Riding

Living in the far north, hating to use a stationary bicycle, and being hooked on bicycling year round, I have had to adapt to riding in the cold. It's actually not bad - if you dress appropriately. As long as the roads are clear (free of ice and snow) and reasonably dry and the temperature is not below freezing, I'm up for a ride especially if the sun is out.

Appropriate dress being a requirement for a reasonably comfortable ride, I always start with about 3 or 4 pairs of underpants. I know, too much information, but it's also a practical necessity on a cold weather bicycle ride. I'm am nothing if not practical. A pair of long sweat pants go on next along with a warm pair of cotton socks. I have a long sleeve cotton turtle neck pullover and an old t-shirt I wear tucked into my sweat pants. If the sun is not out, I will add a thin fleece vest. Warm gloves, a helmet liner, and a pair of gym shoes complete my sartorial ensemble. That's it, I'm good for at least an hour ride, as long as it's followed by a long warm shower. :-)

No comments: