Thursday, January 31, 2008

A new saddle

Tuesday, I rode about 12.5 miles on my new bike, my second ride. Feeling more comfortable with the shifters. No longer reaching my thumb out when I need to shift to a smaller sprocket. Getting used to using my fingers to push the brake lever and the shift lever sideways to do my up and down shifting. But, I decided I didn't like the feel of the saddle. I've gotten used to saddles which have a center cut-out to relieve the pressure on the peroneal nerve. Keeps me from getting numb in a place where most men really don't like being numb - if you know what I mean. Anyway, I took the bike back to the place where I bought it and they swapped the saddle that came with the bike for one that I picked out of a "grab box". This new one almost matches the saddle I have on my trusty "Specialized" road bike. I know that one works since I have ridden up to 80 miles in one day on that saddle. Now I should be set.
The weather has gotten really cold here in the last couple of days. My back is feeling better but I should probably give it another day or two before I get back into the training seriously. The hourly exercises really seem to be helping.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Good luck with that, Lou. Over the years I've gone through a few dozen saddles. Some work (then get discontinued) and others don't work right from the get-go.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for an explanation, now I will not commit such error.