Saturday, March 15, 2008

Back in the saddle... rackin' up the miles

After a week of warmer weather up north, the foot and a half of snow that fell around my house has half melted away. At least the roads are clear and mostly dry. The temperature today is in the mid thirties but the sun is (mostly) out. It's a good opportunity to get my bike out and see how long I can go. With the triathlon only a month and a half away I am anxious to build my mileage in the bike (56 miles) and the run (13 miles). The swim will have to take care of itself.

When I started riding I was planning to sort of play it by ear and go for either one or two hours and 12 to 25 miles. As I rode, my muscles loosened up and I became more comfortable and felt stronger on the bike. Still, it was a little cold to be out for any length of time. I was able to finish 30 miles in about 2 hours. I returned home still feeling fresh enough to do more miles, but it was really too cold for me to stay out any longer. I'm very happy with the effort and will be building my mileage over the next few weeks. When I got home today I took a long hot shower.

No comments: