Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bicycling around the town...

Whenever I go to Cincinnati for the weekend to spend time with my family I always check with my brother to see if he wants to go bicycling while I am in town. He always does. So, yesterday, I met him around 1 PM at a neighborhood restaurant and we headed down to the Ohio River. With all the recent rain we have had in the midwest the river is running at about 25-30 feet above "pool" stage. The serpentine wall at the river front only had the topmost step visible above the river level. Normally, there are about 10-15 2 foot steps visible. We rode along Sawyer Point for a short way until we couldn't continue because of the high water level.

Then we headed inland and up a sharp hill (about 300 feet) to the top of Mount Adams. The picture above was taken at the top of Mount Adams. You can see the Ohio River well below us in the background. That was a steep climb and good practice for me leading up to the Wildflower Triathlon. While we were in the area, my brother suggested we stop at the Cincinnati Art Museum. We parked and locked our bikes and walked around for about a half hour. This proves that two sweaty guys out for an afternoon ride can actually absorb a little "culture" along the way.

We continued the ride back to my brother's house covering about 25 to 30 miles and ascending several more challenging hills along the way. The final hill, as usual, is a street called Glenview which is about 250 feet and always ends the days ride. It is my nemesis, although on this day it felt like a good climb. A definite (and necessary) confidence builder for my Wildflower adventure.

No comments: