Sunday, April 26, 2009

140 days and $2385 to go!

I received a flier in the mail this week that got me thinking... I had intended to sign up for a half-ironman race at Headlands Beach in August near my home. I wanted a second challenge this year since the Nation's Triathlon is an Olympic Distance Race. I was disappointed to learn that the Headlands race would not include the half-ironman distance this year. Darn! This brings me back to the flier. Two years ago, I ran the last leg of a relay at the Akron Marathon. Since then, I have been getting notices in the mail about this race. I almost threw this one away, not intending to run a marathon this year. Then I started thinking...

If I truly want a second challenge, what better than to attempt a marathon this year. I last ran marathons in my 30's. My fastest was about 3 hours, 15 minutes. My "best" was about 3 hours, 30 minutes. I say "best" because that second one was at a very even 8 minute per mile pace. I wouldn't expect to do anything like that this year. I would be happy with a finish in under 4 hours, 30 minutes. Actually, I would be happy with a finish. Funny that the thing that caught my attention and really got me thinking about this possibility was a notice on the brochure that all full marathon finishers get a free Brooks "Tech" Jacket. Now, there are much easier ways to get a jacket. And, I really don't know if it's that good of a jacket. But, I do know that there is only one way to get this particular jacket. And, that is to finish the Akron Marathon. That alone makes it special.

Will I sign up for the Akron Marathon? I don't know yet, but it's definitely got me thinking...

Oh yeah, my back seems to be doing pretty well. I ran a couple of 3 milers this past week and rode my bike several times. Got a flat tire on the ride this morning, so I'm planning to spend the evening patching a few flats which are left over from this and a few previous rides.

No comments: