Thursday, November 1, 2007

Of bicycle chains and other things... conclusion2

Well, it ain't over till it's over. I rode about 15 miles yesterday. Something wasn't right. The new chain was making a little too much noise. Kind of a low continuous clicking sound. I figured with the new equipment, the bike should be "whisper quiet". Well, I'm thinking maybe the derailleurs need adjusting. But, that really didn't make sense since the adjustment seemed fine before I replaced the chain and cassette. It was making more noise than before I replaced things. Could I have done that much damage with my "ham-handed" repair job? It's possible.
After the ride, I mounted the bike on my bike rack and gave the pedals a spin. Didn't seem to be the derailleurs, except the noise was coming from the vicinity of the rear wheel. I take a closer look and discover that I have mis-routed the chain through the rear derailleur and that instead of passing cleanly from one small sprocket to the next it is clanking across part of the housing.
Out comes the chain tool. Looking for the link with the pin I used to attach the chain in the first place. Found the link, wrestled with the chain and the chain tool a bit, disconnected, rerouted, and finally reconnected the chain. Voila! Now the bike is "whisper quiet". :-)

No comments: