Monday, November 19, 2007

Yoga for regular guys (and gals)

A few years back, I was watching a morning show, "Fox and Friends". They interviewed a "tough-looking" Big-Time Wrestling guy named Diamond Dallas Page. Rather incongruously, he was talking about doing Yoga. It immediately caught my attention. Sometime later, I got a gift card for a book store. I forget which one. I was intrigued enough by that interview to use my gift card to buy his book, "Yoga for regular guys".

Well, to make a long story short, after several weeks of rather slowly and painfully trying to follow the prescribed workout. A big part of the pain was laying the book out on the floor and having to look at it every few seconds to figure out what to do next; or, stopping because I lost my place when the pages started flipping on me. After persevering for some time, I developed some "muscle memory" for the workout and was able to actually follow it without having to use the book all the time.

Now, it is a joy to follow the workout. It is based on an Americanized (power yoga) version of something called Ashtanga Yoga. All I know is that it works for me. Strength, flexibility, balance, it's all there. I even got my youngest daughter doing it. I gave her my book and got another copy for myself.

No comments: