Sunday, November 25, 2007

160 days and $2,595 to go!

"During the hard training phase never be afraid to take a day off. If your legs are feeling unduly stiff and sore, rest; if you are at all sluggish, rest; in fact, if in doubt, rest."

Bruce Fordyce

Ok, I took it easy this week. What with the Thanksgiving turkey and the family all gathered together, it was really hard to get out for much training at all.

The week started well enough. I was able to ride up to 15 miles a day on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. A flat rear tire cut short my Tuesday ride at about 10-12 miles. Wednesday evening we drove to Hocking Hills in Ohio and settled in to a cabin for the long weekend. My mom, aunt, sister, brother, sister-in-law, wife, and youngest daughter spent the whole time until Sunday morning in three cabins. As a special treat, our other 3 children with spouses, fiancee, and two grandchildren spent much of Friday and Saturday with us as well. These days, it's particularly special to actually have all 4 children in the same place at the same time - even if only for a short while.

I did bring my bicycle because my brother and I usually try to get in at least one ride over the holiday. This year we spent a little over 2 hours on Friday morning riding the hills in that part of the state. We visited Ash Cave and Conkle's Hollow riding a total of about 15 miles. I think that if I could spend a couple of weeks in Hocking Hills I could handle anything "Wildflower" might throw at me. We rode three of the most challenging hills I have faced on my bike. The middle one of which had my "quads" feeling like rock as I neared the top. I had to keep telling myself to "suck it up" and not jump off to walk the last rise.

It's been a good week. I'm looking forward to a week of running in Florida

No comments: