Sunday, February 3, 2008

90 days and $603 to go!

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man - and I will show you a failure."
Thomas Alva Edison

Restlessness, that's the story of my week. Both the weather and my ailing back were conspiring to keep me from doing much training. The weather, not because of the temperature, but because of the road conditions - too much snow, slush, or ice. I won't ride if I think there is a better than even chance that I will take a spill on the bike. My back is actually rehabilitating rather nicely but I didn't want to push it until all the pain is gone.

Anyway, here's how the week went. Monday was the one nice day this week so I was able to take my new bike for a spin. It rides great! I'm really going to enjoy it. When I went for my second ride on tuesday. I decided to get a new saddle, one that was more like the saddle on my road bike. I spent the next 3 days indoors concentrating on my hourly exercises to help mend my aching back. Yesterday, I went for a short ride to and from the bank just to cash a check. Yes, it still counts as training, light training anyway. Today, I took the new bike out for another 12.5 mile ride. Felt good and the discomfort in my back seems to have gone entirely.

I'll be in Florida this coming week, so it will be a good opportunity to ease back into the running and see if my back has really healed. Looks like I will have to pay regular attention to maintaining the health of the discs in my back. Every time I get a little complacent because I am not feeling any lower back pain I seem to get myself in the same fix - bulging discs.

Well, I have about 3 months to go until the triathlon. The weather should start getting milder. Spring is around the corner. Now the training starts in earnest.

No comments: