Sunday, February 10, 2008

83 days and $603 to go!

"Some people endure pain better than others. All things considered, the ability to withstand - or even deny - pain would seem to be a valuable ally for the long distance runner in search of significant improvement. In truth, it is probably a double-edged sword, since medical experts tell us that pain is the body's warning signal to back off, and that to ignore such signals is to roll the dice with both body and mind."
Mark Will-Weber

Will I ever learn? Maybe not! I caught the second edge of that double-edged sword this week by running through the pain. Not a good idea in this case.

It all started last sunday. I took a slow speed tumble on my bike and slammed my right knee on the asphalt. My knee loosened up as I finished the ride so I didn't think too much of it. Later that evening, my right knee started to stiffen up on me so I popped a few aspirin and iced it a few times. In florida this week, I ran tuesday morning doing a short 3-4 mile route at an easy pace. My knee was a little tender but it seemed to do ok. The rest of the day it felt fine.

I thought I was being smart by just fast-walking on wednesday morning a couple of miles. In reality I should probably have rested completely. Thursday morning I ran about a mile and walked another mile but by then it was pretty obvious to me that my knee was getting worse, not better. By friday, when I returned home I was no longer able to lead with my right leg while walking up steps. My body had called a halt to things, telling me it needed time to heal!

Self diagnosis is a tricky thing, but the fact that the initial problem involved swelling and stiffening of the knee which only got worse with activity leads me to believe that it is probably bursitis. In any case my body is telling me to stop and attend to the swelling and pain until that is resolved. So, that is what I am doing.

The last two days I have been downing aspirin every 4 hours and icing my knee for about 15 minutes every hour. I am happy to report that the symptoms are definitely improving. If the weather cooperates and my knee feels better I hope to get back on my bike later this week. I will run again next week but only if the pain has completely subsided. I promise!

I gave up a perfectly good (and rare) chance to train in a pool today in order to stay home and ice my knee. It's for the better.

No comments: