Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Use it or lose it!

It's my new philosophy of living. I am discovering more and more about my physical (and mental) self as I am pulled inexorably deeper into my fitness craze. Several years ago, after I had surgery on my lower back for a badly herniated disc, I thought that my active fitness days were behind me. The surgeon advised me to "take it easy" since I only had half a disc left. Well, I'm happy to report that the disc has regenerated. I know that from a recent X-Ray. And despite the fact that I no longer make "bend-at-the-waist" and touch your toes part of my regular exercise routine, I am certainly flexible enough to do that easily thanks to a regular Yoga regime.

My left knee, which is missing the top third of the knee cap, and which I had scoped some years ago for a torn meniscus, is feeling just fine these days thank you very much! Running and bicycling has proven to be just the thing to keep it limber and pain free. If I don't use it regularly and vigorously it will tend to stiffen up on me. So, "use it or lose it".

"Take it easy, you're getting older"? No sir, not me!

No comments: