Saturday, December 1, 2007

I'm gonna figure this out yet!

By now, I'm sure, I sound like a broken record. But this is really the biggest training issue I am dealing with right now. In fact, it is the biggest issue I have been dealing with since I started training about a year ago. This week I think I am starting to make some headway. Too soon to tell but I am definitely encouraged. The material my cousin sent me on Trigger Points in muscles seems to be particularly appropriate to my situation. A bit of googling to get some clarification of that concept turned up the following:

"Calf problems are usually due to micro-traumas that occur with every run. A typical muscle that is exercised multiple times a week is injured on the microscopic level with every workout. These micro-injuries require time to heal. As the muscle is used and the microtraumas occur, an inherit tightening or contracture takes place.
This is the body's attempt to protect the muscle to allow the necessary time for recovery. The downside of this built in protective mechanism is that there is a reduced blood flow to the muscle, this reduced blood flow furthers the contracture or tightening."

Sounds like a "Trigger Point" to me. Here is the suggested solution:

"Use your thumbs in applying an upward stroke to the calves, starting just above the Achilles up to the back of the knee. The key is to get into the calves with enough pressure to help relax the muscle and encourage blood flow into the muscle. The runner should apply 20-30 strokes on both calves."

This must be done with the calf muscle fully relaxed. Sitting on the floor with your back against the wall and your knees bent will keep the calf muscle loose. It is also important to do this massage multiple times a day to properly loosen the "Trigger Points".

Oh, and one more thing. I strongly suggest that if you have hairy legs like mine you use lots of lotion when you massage your calves. Otherwise, it can be quite painful :-)

No comments: