Sunday, December 30, 2007

125 days and $921 to go!

Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you plan to stop pedaling.
-Claude Pepper

I've been downing lots of Vitamin C since Christmas morning. I think it's doing some good, but it's taking longer to shake this thing than I thought when I wrote this three days ago. What started as a head cold seems to have moved into my muscles. I just feel generally achy and a little tired. Maybe my body is trying to tell me to slow down a little. :-) Think I'll pass on the training for today. I'll keep popping the "C" though.

I was able to do a couple of runs on woodland paths when we visited my brother and sister in-law in Floyd's Knobs, Indiana, a couple of days before Christmas. I love running through the woods.

Since we returned home on Wednesday I have been able to ride my bicycle for 15 miles, 7 miles, and 15 miles on Thursday through Saturday. The temperature was in the 30s each day but a nice warm shower when I returned home thawed me out. :-)

My ride was cut short on Friday when I noticed that the bicycle chain appeared to slip slightly every few revolutions. I looked down and could see that it was badly in need of lubrication. So, instead of pushing it for 7-8 more miles I decided to return home to investigate. I discovered that one link was damaged to the point of almost falling off. If I had ridden much farther I would have broken the chain for sure. After playing around with a spare link and a chain tool for awhile and getting nowhere, I decided to go to the bike shop to see what they had. For $2 I bought something called a "master link". A simple repair using this link and I was back in business.

Happy New Year!

No comments: