Monday, December 3, 2007

Unexpected training runs

Life is full of surprises! My intention for today's training was to do my yoga routine in the morning, which I did; then rest for the remainder of the day. The weather is too cold and icy for bicycling and I was planning to take a break from the running. It didn't work out that way!

My wife and I have one car. That's by design, not by necessity. I work from home most of the time. When I travel to florida I use public transit to get to the airport. We really don't need two cars. Most of the time, one will suffice. With a little bit of planning we can always get to where we need to go. With a little bit of planning...

Today, I had a dental appointment. My wife was using the car. It occured to me about an hour before my appointment that I would need the car myself. So much for planning! No problem, I'll just call her cell phone. No answer! Now what! I'll take my bike. See above... "The weather is too cold and icy for bicycling". A quick check of mapquest shows that the dentist is about 5 miles away. Well, here I go! Into my running stuff, grab my wallet, out the door.

Despite the near freezing temperatures, I arrive at the dentist's office almost dripping wet from head to waist. So, I duck into the bathroom. No towels, so I stick my head under the hand dryer. Luckily it's not hot. I was reasonably dry by the time I saw the dentist so no harm there. My adventure (the run to his office) gave me a chance to ask (and get a pledge) for a nice donation. On the run home, it was hard to distinguish what on my face was numb from the novocaine and what was numb from the cold wind. The really good news is: My calves didn't cramp up on me. Still, I massaged them as soon as I got home.

No comments: