Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Over the river and through the woods...

I love running trails. I had the perfect opportunity to do just that this past sunday and monday. My wife, one daughter, and I went to visit my wife's brother's family in Floyds Knobs, Indiana. They have a nice farm with several dozen acres of pasture, ponds, forest, hills, and of course, trails. So each morning, around 7:30AM, I went for a 40-45 minute run on a trail from the house around a large lake on their property and back. I had company on these runs, of the four legged, furry variety (dogs). "Q" and "Boomer" were only too happy to join me on each run.

Q, being the older of the two, runs at a pace that is closer to mine. But, his huffing, coughing, and hacking can get a little annoying at times. He means well, he just wants some company. In his effort to stay close, he has a habit of dodging right in front of me from time to time, so I have to watch that I don't accidentally trip over him while I am watching for loose rocks, slippery spots, and other things in the path that might send me sprawling. Despite my best effort, however, I did hit a slick spot of leaves the first day and bloodied my knee a little. The second day I hit a patch of ice but managed to break my fall with my hands to avoid hitting my tail bone on some sizeable rocks.

There are some impressive hills on this trail around the farm. Maybe I can find a similar route closer to home so I can better prepare for the Wildflower triathlon next May. Learning to love the hills! :-)

No comments: